Once you have fully settled into the world of freelancing, you will soon realise that there are a number of things that will become a part of everyday life.
From being so organised that the colour coordination of spreadsheets becomes very important, to knowing exactly what time the latest Jeremy Kyle special will air, here are the top ten things that only a freelancer will know.
- Despite all of your best intentions, sometimes it is just too easy to press the snooze button…especially when it’s freezing and dark outside and your bed is so warm and comfy…and let’s face it, the office is a mere 30 seconds away.
- You aren’t always guaranteed to be the success you imagined you would be at first. In fact, during the initial few months you may find yourself second guessing your decision to move into freelancing. However, everything will soon begin to fall into place and any doubts you had will be no more.
- If you weren’t the most organised individual before you entered the wonderful world of freelancing, you sure are now. Lists you say? Spreadsheets documenting monthly targets? You can do them in your sleep – colour coordinated and all!
- As hard as you try, there will be moments in which it is all too easy to give in to temptation and see what daytime television has to offer – out of curiosity of course! Who are these Loose Women people speak of? How is Phillip Schofield doing these days? There is only one way to find out…
- Once you have experienced daytime television, you will soon become a walking, talking listings guide, knowing the EXACT times in which you should avoid certain shows in a bid to make sure you actually get some work done. It is too easy to fall into a Jeremy Kyle trap, so avoidance really is key!
- Networking can often be underrated in the workplace. It is one of the most important things you can do as a freelancer and you have to be personable and get along with others well, even if you envisaged that you would be spending a lot of time alone in your home office. A lot of projects will come from WHO you know rather than WHAT you know.
- You will develop a thick skin if you didn’t have one already. Your work may be picked apart and scrutinized more often than you ever wish it to be (not that anyone would really wish for it). You just need to see it as constructive criticism and, most importantly, as The Godfather taught: It’s not personal, it’s only business….
- No matter how many times you explain it, friends and family will still ask what you do and even if they do grasp the actual sector you work in and the projects that you deliver, they will still be under the impression that you really just spend your days playing quizzes on Buzzfeed, stalking old school friends on Facebook or trying to beat your own Candy Crush record.
- If your other half/housemates/parents, or whoever it is you live with, work away from the home, they will always expect you to clean the kitchen, take out the bins, or partake in any other household chores. After all, you are sat at home all day aren’t you?No matter how frustrating all of the above can be at times, there is nothing else you would rather be doing.
- No matter how frustrating all of the above can be at times, there is nothing else you would rather be doing. Having the flexibility to be your own boss is amazing and anyone who says otherwise doesn’t know what they are missing.
View our latest blogs
Take a look at our recent blogs below.
Businesses urged to apply for remaining COVID-19 support grants
Businesses are being encouraged to apply for remaining coronavirus (COVID-19) grant funding from local authorities. Hospitality, leisure and accommodation businesses can still apply for one-off cash grants of up to […]
Published on 18th February 2022
Our specialist accounting packages for sole traders and the self-employed combine easy online tools with accountant support to take away the stress of handling your accounts.
From £25 + VAT / month
Thousands of owner-managed businesses turn to Boox for the right help and advice with running their limited company. They love our personal service and accounting market-leading software.
Pay for what you need
A range of cost-effective accounting services designed for buy-to-let landlords and property investors. Specialist advice and marketing leading software takes the complexity and stress out of managing a property investment business.
From £40 + VAT / month