By Lynne Gowers on 16th December 2016

Why you need to act now if you can’t find your UTR

As we approach the end of the year and get caught up in all the chaos of the festive season, it’s easy to lose sight of the fact the January 31st deadline for self-assessment is just around the corner.

One thing you will need to submit a self-assessment tax return is a personal UTR (Unique Tax Reference) number. This 10-digit reference is what identifies you to HMRC and will be quoted on any correspondence you get from them related to your personal tax affairs.

If you haven’t got a UTR yet, or have lost yours, you need to act now or you risk missing the self-assessment deadline and incurring hefty penalties from HMRC.

Your responsibility

Even if you haven’t received any information about self-assessment, that is not reason to assume that you don’t need to do one. All limited company directors are required by law to submit a self-assessment, as is anyone else who isn’t taxed at source, such as the self-employed.

It is your responsibility to tell HMRC that you need to do a self-assessment and register in time for a UTR number. HMRC classify not registering as “failure to notify” and may penalise you for it.

If you haven’t yet registered for a UTR

If you don’t yet have a personal UTR number, you need to apply for one as soon as possible. You can register online here or by calling HMRC on 0300 200 3310. You’ll need your National Insurance number and all your personal and limited company details to hand. Once you have registered HMRC will send your UTR number by secure post. You do not need to register every year and you’ll use the same UTR on all your self-assessments going forward.

If you have lost your UTR

If you know you have registered but just can’t seem to lay your hands on your UTR, your best bet is to contact HMRC on the helpline number quoted above.

They will ask you a number of security questions to verify your identity after which they will post your UTR to you.

Further advice if you have lost your UTR

A word of warning…

HMRC will only issue your UTR by post. They normally advise to allow 7 days but with the Christmas post and bank holidays around this time of year, it could be longer. If you get your UTR late you may be given an extension to submit your self-assessment return, but this extension does NOT extend to tax. You will still need to calculate and pay any tax due by 31st January 2017.

Help with self-assessment

If you don’t want the hassle of filing your self-assessment this year, let us do the work for you.

All you need to do is complete a quick questionnaire and we’ll do the rest.

This easy, great value service starts at just £100 + VAT but get in early! Our self -assessment team gets inundated during the month of January, so if you leave it until the New Year, it will cost you more. Get started





Written by Lynne Gowers
Disclaimer Although we attempt to ensure that the Information contained in this publication is accurate and up-to-date at the date of publication it may not be comprehensive, we accept no liability for the results of any action taken on the basis of the information they contain and any implied warranties, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement and accuracy are excluded to the extent that they may be excluded as a matter of law.

View our latest blogs

Take a look at our recent blogs below.

Explore our accountancy packages

If you need a little help to find the right accountancy service, don’t worry. Get in touch with our friendly team for a FREE service consultation.