Key tax dates and deadlines for 2018/19
It is an inevitable reality that, for anyone earning a livin...
By Lynne Gowers on 9th January 2017
New Year, new business – exciting times! If you have made the decision to start your own business in 2017, there are a number of considerations and steps to take in order to get up and running effectively as soon as possible.
Your accounting provider should be there to support and guide you, but ultimately, as a company director, the responsibility is on your shoulders.
To help you charter the waters of setting up in business, we have put together this comprehensive checklist. By ticking off each task, you’ll ensure your new venture hits the ground running.
1. Incorporate your company:
2. Appoint an accountant – whilst you don’t always need an accountant it is usually a good idea to have one from the start.
3. Open a business bank account
4. Have your IR35 status and risk assessed (if you are a Personal Service Company)
5. Register for VAT– if needed, you can do that here
6. File your business with Companies House
7. Get your business insurances in place:
8. If you have employees, set up PAYE scheme to deal with payroll
9. Open business service accounts for landline, mobile and broadband
10. Subscribe or register with any relevant professional bodies
11. Decide on your company logo and branding for letterhead & invoices
12. Set up your website, social media profiles and business email
13. Get key documents to your agency or client:
Whatever industry you are in, completing this checklist will put you in a great position to start invoicing clients, building up your reputation and growing your business.
The experienced team at Boox can help you with many of the steps involved in starting up in business. Find out more
Take a look at our recent blogs below.
As a business owner, your time is way too precious to spend hours dealing with HMRC or Companies Hou...
Published: 14th May 2018
“Never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time” Charles Dicken...
Published: 11th May 2018
Congratulations! The very fact you clicked this far shows you are considering employing staff, and t...
Published: 17th April 2018
It is out with the old and in with the new when it comes to tax relief on childcare costs from April...
Published: 9th April 2018
The Boox accounting app has always been at the forefront of helping our clients understand their com...
Published: 26th March 2018
Spring has officially sprung and the start of the 2018/19 tax year is just around the corner –...
Published: 23rd March 2018
If your business is employing staff, you should already have a workplace pension in place, under the...
Published: 23rd March 2018
At this time of the year we are used to seeing the Chancellor holding aloft the red box ahead of the...
Published: 15th March 2018
A dispute has erupted between the BBC and 170 of its presenters over their tax arrangements and thei...
Published: 12th March 2018
The rush for taxpayers to file their 2016-17 self-assessment tax return is over for another year, an...
Published: 27th February 2018
If you are in the process of setting up a limited company or you are already the owner of an incorpo...
Published: 16th February 2018
If you need a little help to find the right accountancy service, don’t worry.
Get in touch with our friendly team for a FREE service consultation.
Thousands of contractors, freelancers and locums turn to Boox for help and advice with their limited company accounting. They love our personal service and app.
Specialist accounting for sole traders and the self employed, Boox combines easy online tools with expert support to take away the stress of handling your accounts.
Our combination of market-leading accounting software and expert personal advice gives you greater financial control and more time to grow your business.